Saturday, June 20, 2015

HIS MIGHTY WINGS

The Lord inspired me to write this poem about the shelter He offers us under His wings, a place of refuge, whether for safety from enemies or as a place of rest in His love.  Also, His wings can bear us up high in times of danger.  Read about how Jesus' prayer shawl has "wings."  Notice the references if you want a deeper study of Scripture on this theme.  The poem is in one of my books, Habitation of Honey, Poems and Songs.  (You can buy a copy by clicking on the book to the right.)

HIS MIGHTY WINGS


The wings of my God are mighty over me,
Dwelling in His shadow, as peaceful as can be.
Covered by His feathers, in His tabernacle safe,
I have taken refuge in His awesome, secret place![1]
Yeshua is my Savior, and like a mother hen,
His wings provide shelter till the very end.[2]
He’s also like an eagle with pinions very strong,
Snatching me from dangers of an evil, rioting throng!


The Father has adopted me, His eaglet in the nest –
I cry unto Him, “Abba,”[3] and I rest upon His breast.
He tells me of my heritage and instructs me in His Word,
From Abraham to Moses, oh what miracles I’ve heard!
“I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself.
In the mighty Exodus you saw the judgments dealt.[4]
Your enemies were conquered, and you escaped death.
I uttered Ten Commandments with My thundering breath.[5]
You were saved by the blood of the Passover Lamb.[6]
Then I split the Red Sea, I Am the Great I Am![7]
I made a covenant with you, My very special treasure,[8]
You are My chosen people, My greatest source of pleasure.
“My eaglet, I kept you as the apple of My eye
And hovered closely over you until you learned to fly.
I stirred up your nest and took away your ease.
I allowed many hardships to bring you to your knees.
But just as you were falling, I would spread out My wings,
And I would take you high above, and you would shout and sing!”[9]

God’s dealings with the Israelites and with their Holy City
Are written in Scripture, and some are not so pretty.
But learning from mistakes, God means to give us hope –[10]
We can rise on wings like eagles, not in the darkness grope.
We will run and not be weary; we will walk and never faint.[11]
When the day of wrath has come, it won’t come on His saint.
The Sun of Righteousness shall rise with healing in His wings.



The wicked on a burning earth will hear our voices sing.[12]
“As the Lord of Hosts fights for Mount Zion and its hill,
Like birds flying about, passing over” – what a thrill![13]
So when the storm is raging, and you’ve nowhere else to turn,
Seek the wings of the Great Eagle, from His lessons you will learn.
Whether flying high above the storm or resting in His shade,
You can have your youth renewed; from destruction you are saved.[14]


Yeshua is calling you, wrapped in His tallit,
Spreading out His arms – under His wings you are complete.[15]
Learn your Jewish roots, a Jewish wedding is the goal.[16]
Your Messiah is waiting; under the chuppah He will enfold.
Wrapped in His tallit and shaded under another,
You will enjoy the Wedding Feast[17] in the arms of a Jewish lover!


by Nancy Petrey
July 5, 2014



[1] Psalm 91:1, 2, 4
[2] Matt. 23:37
[3] Rom. 8:15
[4] Ex. 19:4
[5] Deut. 5:22
[6] Ex. 3, 11, 13
[7] Ex. 14: 22, 29, 30; 3:14
[8] Deut. 5:2; 7:6
[9] Deut. 32:10-11
[10] Rom. 15:4
[11] Isa. 40:31
[12] Mal. 4:1, 2
[13] Isa. 31:4, 5
[14] Psa. 103:4, 5
[15] Matt. 9:20; 14:36
[16] Ruth 2:12; 3:9
[17] Rev. 19:7, 9

4 comments:

  1. I didnt fall upon this poem by accident! blessings to yoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt fall upon this poem by accident! blessings to yoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment. I am so glad the poem blessed you. It is included in my book, "Habitation of Honey:Poems and Songs." Yeshua loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. I am so glad the poem blessed you. It is included in my book, "Habitation of Honey:Poems and Songs." Yeshua loves you!

    ReplyDelete