Friday, July 10, 2015

CHRISTIANS - DELIVERANCE OR DEATH?





Reflecting on all the persecution and martyrdom of Christians in the world, especially in the Middle East, right now, my thoughts were drawn to the real possibility of this persecution and threat of death coming ever closer to me personally and to those I love.  That is how I came to write this poem.  I pray it will be a source of courage for Christians facing persecution either today or in the future.

CORRIE, STEPHEN AND PAUL
Will I muster courage to give my life for Him?
Thinking back to Corrie,[1] she walked out on a limb!
Hiding Jews from Nazis, she saved hundreds of lives.
Her family was involved, and some of them would die.
Her sister whom she loved taught Corrie to forgive,
When Betsy died, Corrie’s heart with bitterness did not fill.
God behind the scenes was working in that place,
And Corrie was released – a clerical error, by His grace!
The concentration camp was where her sister had a vision:
Survivors gaining health till from the ashes they had risen!

Another story gives me hope to make a sacrifice,
To give my life like Stephen[2] – for his Lord he paid a price.
The angry crowd gnashed their teeth, killing him with stones,
But Stephen falling to the ground, his face with glory shone!
Heaven opened wide, and he saw Jesus standing up
To welcome him with outstretched arms, to give His man a hug!

Saul was looking on[3] and couldn’t shake it from his mind,
That Stephen had gone on to heaven, leaving him behind!
Saul had labored hard to please Eloheynu, our God:
He dragged the Christians off to death, but God his conscience prod.
Appearing to him on the road, in Hebrew Jesus spoke,
Revealed to Saul just how He felt and how His heart broke.
Saul had seen a Christian stoned, a smile upon his face –
Stephen’s death had changed Paul’s life, and God will give me grace,
If ever I must stand for Him and face a Muslim’s sword,
I know my Lord will strengthen me, His Spirit on me poured.
His love will fill my heart and soul – like Stephen I will say,
“Forgive them, Lord,” and I will be in Paradise that day!

Corrie was released.  By stoning Stephen died.
Paul was beheaded with Jesus by his side.
“Pray for deliverance, whichever it will be,
But rest assured, My child, and know that you will be with Me!”

By Nancy Petrey – July 10, 2015



[1] Corrie Ten Boom with John and Elizabeth Sherrill, The Hiding Place, (Chosen Books, 1971).
[2] Acts 7: 54-60.
[3] Acts 8: 1-3; 9: 1-6, 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment